Private tour of Ancient Ostia
Discovering a Roman town with the archaeologist Marisa
I’m a tourist guide with a background in Archaeology, so I’d love to visit with you Ancient Ostia: the perfect day trip from Rome for those in love with history.
This site is essential to understand the daily life in the Roman Empire, and it’s easy to reach by train (and never crowded).
The city was the harbour of Rome on the Tyrrhenian Sea, and was a lively town with 100, 000 inhabitants in the 2nd and 3rd centuries AD.
With the fall of the Roman Empire, the city was slowly abandoned due to the threat of repeated invasions and the decline of the commerce.
Don’t miss the chance to visit this site with an archaeologist: I’ll help you understanding that those suggestive ruins once were thermal baths, theatres, ancient “public toilets”, apartment buildings, shops and much more.
DepartureAt the entrance of the train station "Porta San Paolo"
Trip to Ancient Ostia by train
Visit of Ostia and its main ruins (Necropolis, Baths, Theater)
Trip to Rome ( 45 minutes)
- Ancient Ostia is 30 km far from Rome. We'll reach the site with a local train Roma-Lido, at the cost of 1. 50€ per ride.
- If you prefer, we can use a taxi or a private driver.
- Timing may change depending on your pace and level of interest (and from the train schedule)
- Afternoon tour is not available from October to April
- This tour is provided even in case of light rain since we can use umbrellas and raincoats. In case of heavy showers we can choose together to change the itinerary or the date of the tour